Legal Michigan Online Casino and Gambling Sites
Even though it is possible for gaming enthusiasts in Michigan to access tons of offshore iGaming houses, we advise caution. It would be best to play at a legal Michigan online casino to avoid offending against the law. You don’t want to risk a jail sentence or lose your hard-earned cash in hefty court fines.
How we Rate Legal Michigan Online Gambling Sites
It is relatively challenging to tell apart a legal gambling site and a scam, especially when you are a gambling rookie. Luckily, we are here to show you the ropes because we wouldn’t be happy if you fell prey to scams. Here are vital factors that come into play when rating legal Michigan online gambling sites:
- License and regulations: The site must display details on the licenses they have. Besides, it must be licensed and regulated by a trustworthy and renowned gambling licensing and regulatory authority such as Michigan Gaming Control Board (MGCB).
- Safety and security: Your security is very significant whenever you are transacting at an online gambling site. Therefore, the site you choose to join must have an industry-standard online security solution like SSL. That way, you are sure of the safety of your funds and confidential details.
- Trustworthy and reputation: Never play at a site with reliability issues. So, do some due diligence before hitting the Sign Up button. In this case, we look at player reviews. Too many unresolved complaints point to a bad reputation and untrustworthiness.
- Number and variety of games: We look at the site’s game catalog. It should have an array of games to let you choose the titles that excite you.
- User experience: Nobody wants to play at a gambling site that is difficult to navigate. Therefore, ensure your legal Michigan online gambling site has a well-organized layout that makes it easy to access games, banking options, online help, etc.
- Bonuses and promotions: Players want a site that rewards them with some perks like bonus credits and free spins. And so, we look at some of the available casino bonuses and the wagering requirements that apply to them. In most cases, very high wagering requirements turn out to be unattainable. For that reason, a casino with such requirements is certainly not fit for you.
- Loyalty program: Loyalty programs are a common feature at most online gambling sites worldwide. Members in such programs receive a unique set of benefits depending on their loyalty levels. For this reason, it is desirable for the online casino you choose to have a loyalty or rewards program.
- Banking: Banking is very significant to any online gambling site and the players, too. You need a range of payment and withdrawal options to fund your account and withdraw winnings seamlessly. So, we check whether the site has popular banking options, including e-wallets, bank transfers, credit/debit cards, and so on.
- Customer service: The casino must have reliable customer service to respond to your questions and offer prompt solutions to the challenges you encounter. Moreover, there must be effective ways to reach out for help.
Online Gambling Laws and Regulations in Michigan
It is crucial for every online gambling enthusiast in MI to be conversant with the Dos and DONTs akin to online gambling in the state. Here are the basics:
- Don’t partake in online gambling until you are 21 and over.
- Only play on a Michigan online casino when you are within the state’s borders.
- You can register with any legal Michigan online gambling site from anywhere in the state.
- Don’t operate any online gambling site in MI without a license from the Michigan Gaming Control Board.
- Don’t play on illegal online gambling sites and apps.
- Verify your location using your gadget whenever you play.
Are Michigan Online Casinos Safe?
We can’t guarantee you all online casinos in Michigan are safe. So, it is entirely upon you to ascertain how safe the site you wish to join is. On the whole, safe casinos use a cybersecurity solution like a secure socket layer (SSL).
You can pain-free tell a casino is safe by simply looking at the URL. For instance, the “s” in https://xyz.com tells you the site is secure. Another important thing is a license to offer online casino services. So, find out whether the casino has a license from the Michigan Gaming Control Board or any other trusted authority.
List of Online Casinos That Have or Will Launch in Michigan
The Michigan Gaming Control Board has already approved several online casinos to offer their services in the state. Here is a list of some of the online casinos that are currently operating in MI:
- BetAmerica: Bet America is an epic brand in the U.S operated by Churchill Downs Inc.
- BetMGM: One of the most popular online casinos in MI, operated by GVC Holdings in partnership with MGM Resorts International.
- BetRivers: This is casino is operated by Rush Street Gaming.
- DraftKings: This is a major daily fantasy sports site Operated by DraftKings and the Bay Mills Indian Community in MI.
- Fanduel: Another renowned brand in the daily fantasy sports industry. Flutter Entertainment operates the site.
- Golden Nugget: Fertitta Entertainment operates this casino.
- Hollywood Casino: The casino is owned and operated by Penn National Gaming, Inc.
- Parx Casino: Greenwood Gaming & Entertainment operates Parx casino.
- PointsBet: PointsBet is operated by the PointsBet company.
- PokerStars: This is one of several casinos owned and operated by the Stars Group.
- William Hill: Caesars Entertainment operates the casino.
MI Online Casino Bonuses and Promotions
MI online casinos, like any other casinos worldwide, compete for customers. For that reason, the casinos have different ways of attracting new players and retaining the existing ones. And bonuses are one of the most common and effective ways they use to achieve that.
Here are some of the freebies you can expect at MI online casinos:
- Sign up bonus: This bonus, also known as a welcome bonus, is exclusive to new players. You’ll receive the bonus after creating your account. However, you will have to trigger your welcome pack by making a specified minimum first deposit in most cases.
- No deposit bonus: Some casinos, though not common, will give you free bonus credit once you create your account. Interestingly, you don’t have to deposit anything into your account to get a No deposit bonus.
- Match bonus: A match bonus is usually equivalent to a certain percentage of your deposit. For example, a casino might give you a 100% match bonus of up to a specific amount. That means you’ll get $200 if you deposit $200, $150 if you deposit $150, and so forth. Match bonuses are mostly associated with welcome packs.
- Reload bonus: Most casinos that offer reload bonuses do it weekly. In other words, you will have to reload your account within the week as per bonus terms to be eligible for the bonus. Some casinos give the bonus on a specific day, e.g., Monday, Wednesday, Friday, etc.
- Free spins: Apart from the sign up bonus, free spins are another popular bonus at MI online casinos. In fact, most casinos will give you a welcome package in credits and throw in several free spins. You can use your free spins to play specified titles.
- Promo codes: A promo code is a unique string of characters used to claim a bonus. It can be numeric, alphabetical, or alphanumeric. Most importantly, you have to enter the code accurately when claiming the offer it applies to.
- Free play: Casinos, but not all, allow you to play some games for free, especially Slots. The free play games are just the same games you play for real money. A casino will give you virtual currency to play the games. As a result, you don’t expect to win real money in free play.
Michigan Mobile Casino Apps for iOS and Android
Most Michigan online casinos have dedicated mobile apps for iOS and Android users. You can find the app download links on their sites. Alternatively, you can look for the apps on App Store if you have an iOS device or Play Store for those with Android gadgets.
Online Casino Games
Michigan online casinos offer a variety of games. Here are the popular casino games you are likely to find across virtually all iGaming houses in MI:
- Slots: Hardly will you fail to find Slots on the game catalogs of the MI online casinos you may visit. For instance, you will find classic slots, video slots, and progressive slots.
- Roulette: Roulette is common at online casinos. Some of the Roulette variants you are likely to play at the casinos include American Roulette, European Roulette, and French Roulette.
- Blackjack: This card game is the most famous table game you can play at most Michigan online casinos. The Blackjack variations you can expect at the casinos are Single-deck Blackjack, Single-hand Blackjack, Multi-hand Blackjack, Blackjack Xchange, and more.
- Baccarat: Baccarat is another card game Michiganders play at casinos. The game is played between a player and a banker, and it involves comparing cards.
- Poker: This is yet another card game available at Michigan online casinos. In Poker, you make bets with discs known as chips. You make the bets depending on the value of your poker hand.
- Craps: In Craps, we use dice and make wagers on the results of the roll of a pair of dice. The popularity of the game continues to rise steadily among online gaming fans in MI.
Live Dealer Games in MI
Live casinos offer an excellent way of interacting with live dealers and fellow players right from your device. You’ll no longer have to make trips to a brick-and-mortar casino to play your favorite table game once Michigan online casinos start offering live dealer games.
PointsBet and BetMGM are said to have partnered with Evolution Gaming to provide live games in MI soon. Once the two and others put up their live studios, you will be able to play live dealer games from the comfort of your home.
Example of Sports Betting Areas You Can Bet On
Bookies are major contributors to the MI online gambling industry. They offer a broad spectrum of sporting events you can bet on. The popular sports betting areas in the state include:
- Horse Racing: Involves two or more horses racing over a set of distances. Jockeys ride the horses, or they can also run without riders.
- NHL: The National Hockey League is a professional ice hockey league. Currently, it comprises 31 teams; 24 are from the U.S, while 7 come from Canada.
- MLB: Major League Baseball is an American professional baseball union. 30 teams participate in the MLB; 15 are from the National League (NL), while the other 15 play in the American League (AL).
- College Basketball: College basketball is famous in the U.S. It is managed by collegiate athletic organizations, including NCAA, NJCAA, NAIA, and USCAA.
Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS)
Daily Fantasy Sports are popular in the U.S. The DFS is a paid competition in which winners get a share of the pot funded by the entry fees they pay. DraftKings and FanDuel dominate the DFS industry in MI and the entire U.S.
Banking Methods Available at Michigan Online Gambling Sites
You’ll get a range of banking options at Michigan online casinos, including e-wallets, bank transfers, card payments, and more. That gives you the freedom to choose deposit and withdrawal methods you deem perfect for you. Here are some of the popular banking methods available at Michigan online gambling sites:
- ACH / eCheck: This is an electronic funds transfer method that uses Automated Clearing House (ACH) to process transactions. It enables you to withdraw funds from your account electronically.
- Debit / Credit cards: Common debit/ credit cards at Michigan online casinos are MasterCard and Visa.
- Neteller: This is an e-money transfer service that uses the Net+ card to withdraw cash directly or transfer it to your bank account.
- Play+: Enables you to link your casino account to your Play+ account holding your funds. You can, therefore, directly access the funds using your casino loyalty card.
- PayPal: A famous e-wallet in the U.S and beyond. PayPal is one of the fastest payment options casinos often use.
- PayNearMe: With PayNearMe, you can place your order and get a receipt printout that you take to 7- Eleven and get paid in cash.
- Wire transfer: Wire transfer allows you to electronically transfer funds from your bank account to your casino wallet.
- Skrill: Skrill is also an e-wallet that allows you to send and receive cash electronically in a currency of your choice.
How to Step-By-Step Sign Up at an Online Casino in Michigan
Signing up at an online casino should be a straightforward process. Generally, you simply provide your details. Don’t worry because most of the sites are intuitive. They prompt you to key in any mandatory details you forget to provide. Here are the steps to follow when creating your account:
- Visit the casino’s official website.
- Click on the button that displays a registration form. Common labels for the button include Join Now, Sign UP, Register, and Create Account.
- Provide details such as your name, email address, social security number, password, phone number, and so forth.
- Click on the button provided at the bottom of the registration form to submit your details for verification.
- The site will automatically log you into the dashboard area to get started on your gaming journey on the platform. Note that some sites will send you a verification link via your email address. In that case, open the link, and that’s all.
History of Online Gambling in Michigan
In December 2019, Michigan joined the list of states that have legalized online gambling in the U.S. Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed into law House Bill 4311 after several years of what looked like endless haggling.
On January 22, 2019, eight online casinos made their debut when online gambling was finally launched. They included: DraftKings, BetRivers, Golden Nugget, William Hill, TwinSpires, WynnBET, and FanDuel.
The signing of the Lawful Internet Gaming Act into law also legalized other forms of online gambling, including online Poker. Other bills that the governor signed into law are House Bill 4916, called the Lawful Sports Betting Act, and House Bill 3408, which legalized online sports betting and daily fantasy sports, respectively.
Michigan Gaming and the Effect of Online Casinos
Online gaming is likely to be one of the major sources of revenue for the state as more operators enter the MI gambling market. However, online casinos pose a threat if you don’t control your gaming habits. It can lead to compulsive gambling, which has devastating side effects such as:
- The sale of property to get money for gaming.
- Family breakups.
- Mental health issues.
- Job loss.
- Abdication of one’s responsibilities.
It would help if you gambled responsibly to avoid problem gambling. The good thing is most modern online casinos have a gaming control feature that enables you to set limits such as the maximum deposit, maximum bet, and playing timelines.
Another crucial feature you will find at such casinos is the self-exclusion option that lets you take a break from gaming. For instance, you can set a self-exclusion period of 1 month, 3 months, 1 year, 3 years, etc. Remember, you’ll not be able to log into your account until the period is over.
Alternatively, you can call the Michigan Problem Gambling Helpline if you need help with gambling addiction. The toll-free number to call is 1-800-270-7117. You’ll talk to a professional problem gambling counselor who will guide you on the way forward.
Michigan Online Casinos Summary
The Michigan online casino industry has higher odds of becoming a major source of revenue in the state. Legalizing online gambling Michigan has given numerous casino operators the green light to apply for licenses from the MGCB.
Without a doubt, more prominent brands in the global online casino industry will enter the MI online casino business with time. That will make things even more interesting for MI online gaming enthusiasts because there will be more options to explore.